By: George Val Myer and Watson Hart
Built: 1930 - 1932
Broadcasting House, on Portland Place in London, was designed by architects George Val Myer and Watson Hart for the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). The interiors were designed by architect Raymond McGrath. It was Britain's first purpose-built broadcasting facility including offices and radio studios. The building comprises a steel frame construction clad in Portland stone rising for nine stories. The building extends north for some thirty-five bays along Portland Place.
The main entrance, off Portland Place on Langham Place, rises for six stories and is topped with an ornamental clock and latticework mast. Above the main entrance doors, atop a stone lintel, stands a sculpture by Eric Gill of "Prospero and Ariel". Further sculptures by Eric Gill and Gilbert Bayes adorn the western facade on Portland Place.
Broadcasting House was officially opened on 14 May 1932. The building was awarded Grade II*-listed status on 16 January 1981.